Sunday, July 26, 2009

The new old lawn chair

I re-webbed this lawn chair Friday. The new green and white doesn't match the yellow armrests too well, but at least it's usable. This was actually my grandfather's (or grandmothers - I'm not sure) lawn chair that they used to sit and rock in on their front porch. I'm not sure how I ended up with it, but I imagine some family members might recognize it and remember seeing Grandma and Grandpa rocking away on the porch. It seemed that's always where Grandpa was every time we came to visit in the summers.

I had a heck of a time finding the webbing too. About the only places that seem to carry it anymore are smaller, older hardware stores (other than online). First I went to the hardware store in Ossian, and they had one package left. The guy said it was enough to do "one regular-sized lawn chair." After I got home I noticed that it actually said, "Enough to do one regular-sized lawn chair IN ONE DIRECTION." Now why on earth would they sell you lawn chair webbing just to do one direction? So, anyway, I ran to the hardware store in Waynedale, and they had several packages of it. However they didn't have the same color that I already had. So, while the green and white does look good together, I didn't plan for it to be that way. And I was one strap shy on the green, so it's kind of mismatched. Whatever. It works.

I finally found some eyelets at Menards to attach the ends, and had to kind of improvise to get a hole punched through. I needed an awl, but I didn't want to invest too much money. A large nail sufficed.

So now I have a practically new old lawn chair... and it rocks! Very cool.

Before...

After...

1 comment:

Larry Geiger said...

Memories. We had one of those. It went camping all over the country. Rewebbed many times. Cool.