Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Mononucleosis and a cold

Son Isaac called yesterday and informed his mother he's been diagnosed with mono. He's been sick off and on for some time, and the lymph nodes in his neck have been real swollen. Hopefully he will get the rest he needs and be able to finish out his classes. Good thing the semester ends next week.

I remember having mono when I was a teenager. I think it was the summer between my freshman and sophomore year of high school. My lymph nodes were swollen and my throat was sore with white splotches all over it. I remember at one point I had to spit all the time because it hurt too bad to swallow. I was also really, really tired. Not so much sleepy as just a rundown feeling. I really didn't know just how rundown I was until I got over it and knew what it was like to feel normal again. I pretty much laid on the couch for a couple of weeks and that was the end of it. Having had it kind of put into perspective the importance of simple things like getting enough sleep, general cleanliness, good hygiene, and basically just taking care of oneself.

There is some good info on mono at Google Health and Web MD. The wikipedia entry confused the heck out of me and was not helpful at all.

Jane happened to be home when Isaac called because she left work early with a bad cold herself. She actually called in sick today too. She has hardly ever called in sick. Hopefully a couple of days of bed rest will help her cough, sore throat, runny nose, and sinus headache. I think part of it was brought on by exhaustion from hosting Thanksgiving, the wedding, and working with idiots. Right after the wedding - when she should have been recovering - she actually had to work overtime because of issues with her co-workers. Then, on Monday when it snowed, and she's coughing, sneezing, and wheezing, SHE had to go out and shovel snow at the bank. I mean, how can a guy sit in his office and watch a woman in a skirt go out and shovel snow (a woman with a cold, no less)? Anyway, I hope she feels better soon.

No comments: