- I watched the Vikings/Packers game last night (well, parts of it), and all I could think was one thing: Brett Favre is sad. I mean, just the look in his eyes... that sense of total desperation at trying to hold onto his youth. You just get the feeling he's operating from a sense of denial right before everything in his life unravels. He has never been one of my favorite players, and he continues to sink further and further down my list of admired athletes. It was really just nothing but sad watching him play last night. A victim of his own demise.
- Of course, the Dallas Cowboys have been pretty sad this year too. And, to be honest, I don't really care all that much. For those of you who don't know, I have been a Cowboys fan since I was in the second grade. Long before they were "America's Team." Things started to sour for me when Jerry Jones took over the franchise, and today I'm almost embarrassed to say they're "my" team anymore. In fact, I have had occasion to consider finding another team from time to time recently. And not because the Cowboys are losing this year. I just don't really like what they represent anymore. To be blunt, I don't like JJ. I think it's people like him who are ruining the sport. I also think it's almost funny that they are having such a bad year, because I never understood how anyone was picking them to go to the Super Bowl this year. I think that was all a bunch of 'Jerry-hype' because they are hosting the game. So, while I don't necessarily wish them bad, it doesn't bother me too much to see them lose. I wish Mark Cuban would buy them.
- I am, however, looking forward to college basketball this year. I am hoping the Illini have a good team. They have a nice bunch of seniors, but also have some very talented freshmen coming in. It 'should' be a good year. Hopefully having a loaded roster will be a good thing instead of causing inner turmoil. I'll be anxious to see how Coach Weber handles it. In my opinion that's always been one of the worst aspects of his coaching. He seems to handle too many things in the media rather than face to face behind closed doors.
- And... even the Illini football team is doing pretty good this year. They're having a little trouble on the offensive side of the ball - which everyone knew they would coming in, what with a freshman quarterback and all. But their defense is full of studs. Ron Zook might not be able to coach, but no one can say he can't recruit. If they could end up 9-3, or 8-4, or even 7-5, that would be a great year. It's nice to see. I've actually enjoyed watching them play the few times I've seen them so far.
- As far as baseball... I think the World Series is going on, right? I really have nothing against baseball; I like attending games. It's just one of those things where it's never really attracted my attention. I just don't notice it; or think about it. Just can't get into it. Sorry.
- I am hoping the Miami Heat fall flat on their face this NBA season. For no particular reason. ;)
Monday, October 25, 2010
Random sports thoughts
Just some thoughts off the top of my head...