Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Random (seems like friday)

Apparently I am on vacation... though it seems more like it's just a Friday. It hasn't really hit me yet that I have a week "off." This vacation is kind of more just a "well, I've still got four weeks to use before August, so... I guess I might as well take a week off here." I suppose I don't 'need' to use all my vacation, but I think everyone is better off if I do. I also think it is perhaps possible that I really do need a vacation more than I realized. I think I've been in a bit of denial lately. So... I am on vacation. I didn't get everything done I wanted to yesterday but it's just going to have to be good enough.

In other random news...

My mom had cataract surgery yesterday. Hopefully it will help her sight in that eye. Not sure what my parents would do if my mom weren't able to drive anymore.

I visited with someone in the hospital yesterday suffering the consequences of smoking. They've already had lung cancer and two heart attacks. I am not exaggerating when I say that people who die from smoking related illnesses suffer the worst deaths of anyone I have seen. They generally die scared, ugly, and with a lot of regret. That's why I hate smoking more than anything in the world. I have a post about my hatred for cigarette smoking that also lists all the other problems it causes, but I haven't ever posted it because I don't want to sound like I'm harping at anyone in particular. But the truth is... I hate cigarette smoking with a passion, because I have seen what it does to people in too gory a detail. It's the worst way to die. Not to mention the negative effects it has had on me from smoking when I was younger. Anyway... it was a sad visit.

After that I went to a nursing home to visit someone who usually bitches at me whenever I visit them (and wonders why I don't visit more often)... and they weren't there anymore.

So I went to another nursing home to visit a lady with alzheimer's. She was actually really good yesterday and we had a nice visit. I was glad of that, because to be perfectly honest, I didn't want to go. I have had some bad experiences in alzheimer wards and I really have to force myself to go there. I was kinda sorta glad I went yesterday though.

On a totally unrelated note... my shoulder seems to be getting better. I have only been taking Aleve at random times now; and I lifted weights the other day. It hurt a little when I lifted, and right after, but I think it helped later on. So I may try to continue some light weight work and see if that clears it up completely.

I do think I'm going to wander about for a couple days this week. Nothing serious, but I need a change of scenery for a bit.

Jane and I had a bit of a celebration last night when we saw that the Dairy Queen down the street from our new house is now open. Not only that the DQ is open, but that there is one just down the street from our house! We've never been able to say that before. I don't really even like ice cream all that much, but I'm hoping my granddaughter does... "Sure, you can have another ice cream. Just don't tell your mom and dad." :)

I think we should have got two cats when we got this one. She seems to be bored when we're gone. And we're kind of gone a lot. I don't know how it would work if we got another one now. I would be afraid they would fight since it's like the one is invading the space already staked out by kitty. At the new house there are a TON of squirrels though, so maybe that will help keep her occupied.

By the way, I heard the cat meowing this morning. I heard the garage door go down when Jane left at 7, and then the cat just started meowing loudly. She never meows. I don't think she knew I was home. I called her from the bedroom and she came running in there like, "Oh... I thought I was all alone!." Then she wandered off and she was quiet again.

I see Bradley University hired a new basketball coach: Gino Ford. I think it was a good hire. I kind of lost interest in BU basketball lately. As much as I liked Jim Les as a player, I don't think it worked out too well for him as a coach. Too bad it had to end the way it did.

You know... I hesitate to even say this but... I really value authenticity and vulnerability, but I really don't like when I am vulnerable and share openly and then people try to use that against me. I know that's the risk one takes, but I don't like it when people do that. That's all I'm gonna say.

I was thinking the other day about how angry I used to be. I think I was way more angry than I ever realized (when I was growing up). Sometimes I still have my problems, but it's way better to go through life and not have the weight of lingering anger dragging me down. I also never knew how to deal with my anger. At all. I am thankful for some of the people God has placed in my life to help me with that.

Well... I suppose I should do something. I can think of a million things I need to do. The bigger problem will be not thinking about them and just doing something... vacation-like.

Peace out; and in.

No comments: