Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Trick or treat

We actually had trick-or-treaters at our house last night! We bought 4 bags of candy, and ran out! I don't know how many actual people we had, but it was way more than I was expecting (and I'm glad).

This is, of course, in contrast to the last 12 years of living in the country and having ZERO trick-or-treaters. So it was quite fun.

I think part of the reason we never had any while living at the parsonage is because there is this rumor that I hate everything having to do with halloween. I don't hate everything about it. I mean, sure, early on - during my legalistic years - there was the fear of the demonic realm and all that goes with that. I didn't want my kids exposing themselves to this as "all in fun" when there were satanists who took it seriously. Much like deceiving them with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. And I still struggle with those things. However, even though I don't go to such an extreme in that regard anymore, I still find little redeeming value in the day. I mean, as a good friend of mine who really likes the day recently said, "Hey, I'm a sinner. I like halloween parties because it's an excuse to get drunk and to look at girls in scantily clad outfits." There, an actual honest person! Anyway, I suppose at this time in my life, though, I am much more interested in trying to connect with my friends and neighbors (there, I didn't even have to say "missional"). So we had a good time not only passing out candy, but also visiting with the neighbors - many of whom we had never met before.

I did manage to pull out some little Nestle's Crunch bars for myself before we ran out though. Next year we probably need to get 5 or 6 bags of candy.

2 comments:

Jim L said...

Glad you had a lot. I'm jealous! Here's my take on Halloween.

Whisky Prajer said...

I think I'm in Jim's camp, too, actually (including the confession re: kids). I've also felt that uneasiness about "playing with fire" but I've been coming around on the whole spook-house scene. In the 70s my church's youth group put together a haunted house, gutting a soon-to-be-condemmed house and putting on a living wax-museum show. They only did this twice, as the letters to the town newspaper made it clear that the controversy was getting larger with every passing year.

We've got some people in town who really roll up their sleeves when they put up their haunted mazes and garages and what-not. I like stepping outside my front door to hand out candy, and hearing the screams that come from just around the corner. If you've been around long enough, you know the difference between "fun" screams and real screams, and you take the former as the precious gift that it is.

Another link for you: this time, Steve Bell. Have you heard any of his music? I somehow think you'd dig him.