Monday, January 23, 2012

Anna's first birthday


Today is my first grandchild's first birthday. Pretty amazing. There was a huge party yesterday at Drew Carrie's house (where the pic is from). My parents came out from Friday until this morning; Isaac and Ricci came up Saturday and Sunday; and there were probably 50-some other family and friends at the party. The house was a bit crowded, and fortunately it was Sunday, so most of us could park at the liquor store down the street. There were lots of kids, lots of presents, and it seemed to be a good time was had by all. I know I enjoyed it (even though I got pretty toasty at the end due to only a few hours sleep the night before and a pretty tiring morning at church). At any rate, it was good fun.

Carrie and some of her friends did a super job decorating the house and setting out a nice spread of snacky type foods. They also had a box with cards for a time capsule. We were supposed to write something about or for Anna on her first birthday, and they will open it and give it to her on her 18th birthday. What a cool idea! I waited towards the end of the night to fill mine out. Geesh, I teared up just writing something down. It's amazing how such a tiny person can impact your life. Truly the bright spot in the world for me right now. She's a sweety.

As for the weekend... My parents arrived Friday late afternoon. We got a couple of inches of snow on Thursday, and then it started snowing again about 2 pm Friday. It snowed the rest of the night and we probably got another 5 inches of snow. At least they made it before it got too bad, and it was a light snow and didn't blow at all. Then on Saturday we kind of just sat around. I worked in the morning (had a couple meetings), then Isaac and Ricci arrived around 2:30 or 3. We kind of just hung out, and Drew, Carrie and Anna came over too. Jane made lasagna and chili and potato soup for the weekend, and for Saturday night we got Casa salad and Pizza Hut pizza. Isaac and Ricci went to a friend's house later Saturday night, and then spent the night at Drew Carrie's. On Sunday everyone came to church (even Isaac and Ricci - their first time there together). Then mom and dad, Jane and I, and Isaac and Ricci went to Spyro's for lunch while Drew and Carrie started getting ready for the party. We headed over to their house around 2:30 (the party started at 3). I couldn't believe how many people came. Again, it was nice. We stayed until probably around 8 pm or so. Isaac and Ricci had to leave at some point (maybe 7). We went back to our house with my parents, and Drew, Carrie & Anna came over later to get Lady the dog (they left her at our house during the party). They left around 9 or 10, and then we went to bed. I was exhausted. For awhile I thought I might be getting sick, but I think I had just overdone it. I felt fine this morning.

My parents left this morning to drive back. After all that snow Thursday and Friday, it is now about 50 degrees F. We had thunderstorms last night and so the snow is just about all gone. It was a good weekend, but I could use a rest now. Not to mention a rest from all the stress going on at church. So... that's that.

No comments: