Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Random...

I know it's not Friday (though I'm not exactly sure what day it really is) but thought I'd just put down some random things on my mind this morning. So here goes...

I have recently started putting milk in my coffee (when I can remember to). I have always taken my coffee black. I think I read somewhere that milk is supposed to keep it from staining your teeth as bad. I don't know if it does or not, but it does kinda taste better. Still drinking decaf, though sometimes I will take regular. I admit that regular makes me feel more awake, but... whatever.

I also started scrambling real eggs again instead of egg beaters. There is a definite difference. I put a little milk and a touch of water in them. It makes them so much fluffier and a better texture. Sometimes I add some onion and tomato too. I'm sure it's worse for me than the egg beaters, but it tastes better.

Yesterday I literally laid on the couch and read almost the entire day. I got to page 400 in The Grapes of Wrath. The only time I left the house was when we went to get yogurt cones with the Feipels at The Stand at 7:30 pm. Come to think of it, I don't think I brushed my teeth yesterday.

There was a time - not that long ago - when I would have felt totally guilty for doing that (laying on the couch all day). But I lay in bed last night and for the first time in a long, long time I thought, "I'm kinda okay with myself." That probably doesn't mean much to a lot of people, but it's a pretty big step for me. I'd say a direct result of the counseling, and probably the meds. I might even be able to deal with people not liking me (at church).

It's nice to have friends though. Last weekend we got invited out twice. Saturday was Amish John's retirement party. Jane couldn't go because she was babysitting, but I went. It was Amish John, Dr. John, Mike, Travis & Amanda, Joey, Vicki, the other Amanda and her husband, and Sizzler Mike. Seems like there were a couple more but I can't remember (oh, Jared and Shelley). Anyway, it was fun. Then on Sunday we had a table of 9 at Takaoka (the Japanese place where they cook at your table). It was Jane and I, Travis and Amanda, Dave and Joni, Mike, Amish John, and Dr. John. Afterward we met Kenny at O'Sullivans (he had to work). Both nights were a good time. Again, it's nice to have friends; especially friends who don't want anything from you or expect anything out of you.

Well, I have a little more to read in The Grapes of Wrath, then I may actually venture out today. I think I'm going to start on Love Does next - probably tomorrow. I think I'm ready for a book like that.

1 comment:

MR said...

re: not brushing your teeth, I'm thinking of Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets". He's been on the meds for a week or so, he starts to go out the front door and freezes. "I forgot to lock the door". Greg Kinnear doesn't really know the significance but was the only one there to hear it.

Yeah, great weekend! It really gets frustrating trying to put those things together but always worth it!