The chapters break down as:
- It's Not Unusual - Discouragement is one of Satan's most subtle but greatest tools, and we all go through it from time to time. The biblical writers acknowledged their need to God, and so should we (rather than pretending).
- Divine Instrument - Even though discouragement is a tool of the enemy it is also an instrument of God, used to shape us and bring us into all that he has for us. We should draw near to God daily, finding our hope in his presence and helping to give us a more positive attitude.
- Take Heart - We need to keep our mind and heart in gear, ready to stand against our adversary and receive the promises of God. We should: 1) Think about the Lord (Heb. 12:1-3); 2) Think about the good things in life (Philippians 4:8); 3) Pray (Matt. 7:7-8). 4) Remember the Lord has good plans for you; 5) Live by faith, not by sight or feelings (Hab. 3:17-19); 6) Know that no matter what, you are forgiven (Heb. 4:16); and 7) Have patience with yourself (Phil. 1:6).
- Be An Encourager - The best way to be encouraged is to encourage others.
- Concluding Remarks - A list of verses to remind us of God's goodness and love.