Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Tired of winter

I know everyone is tired of winter... So am I. It's especially depressing after having a couple days in the 50's and then we wake up to freezing rain, sleet, and another expected 4-8 inches of snow, plus heavy winds. To top it off, just yesterday I got all but one short row of storage units cleared of ice and snow. That meant that only about 6 units remained out of 600+. I chipped so much ice yesterday that my arms and hands shook for hours afterward. Now every single one of those units will be right back to needing cleaned out again. Ugh.

Right now I am waiting for Jane to text me that she made it to work, then I need a shower and I will start my trek from the south side to the north side. Hopefully we will both make it home tonight.

I am so tired of winter.

2 comments:

Tom said...

I hesitate to say it but since you said "everyone" I feel obligated to say that I am actually not tired of winter. This isn't usual for me and I have a theory.

Most years I look at cold and snow as an aberration, something not normal that will soon pass and I will get on with life. From the beginning of this year winter has shown serious intent. It seems normal and just the way life is. Spring will come but for now there is cold, snow, and a lot of shoveling and that's normal.

I noticed it makes a difference in how I approach winter. Most years, when I see it as an intrusion on normal life, I tend to pretend it really isn't happening. I wear a lighter jacket, don't plan on shoveling, and expect to be able to keep my schedule without interruption. This year I dress very warm, include time for shoveling, and understand that I may have to change my schedule due to bad roads and cancellations.

I am bummed that my snow thrower broke though. And of course I don't have to chip ice on 600 storage units.

Pastor D said...

On my way to conduct chapel at our school there was a school bus as well as a county snow plow in the ditch! We've canceled services for this evening due to a county wide travel advisory. And this is extremely rare for us! Spring will come but right now I need to fire up the snow blower one more time!