Thursday, July 31, 2014

Windows 8.1 at home, new computer at work

Yesterday I downloaded the free version of Windows 8.1 on our home computer (laptop). We were one of the unlucky few who purchased a computer with Windows 8 on it. I've learned to deal with it, but still hate it when I think about it. I guess they're already phasing it out, so I figured I better get 8.1 while I could. It doesn't seem to have made much of a difference at all.

I got a new computer at work this past Monday. We'd been running Windows XP there, and the new one came with Windows 7 on it. The IT guy made the switch during working hours, and it wasn't exactly a fun day. At least it works better. Instead of sitting on the floor, it's about the size of a Kraft Mac'n'cheese box and just sits perched on the bar connecting my two monitors. I'm still learning the nuances of switching from Outlook Express to just plain Outlook, but so far I like it better. I no longer have to check mail on the server side and our own, and it works quite a bit faster. It used to take about 20-25 minutes to close day, now it takes less than 10. It is basically just like the computer at the Downtown location now. So, that seems to have turned out well.

Otherwise, I need to remind myself about the post I was writing in my head last night dealing with: APE Rape.

No comments: