Wednesday, September 24, 2014

I met a reader

Believe it or not (and for some odd reason), there are actually people from all over the world who occasion by this blog. I know, it astounds me too. No, not a lot; but it's more than just you. Some of them even come back! I always appreciate hearing from people - whether they're old friends, or someone I've never met. But, anyway... the other day I actually met someone who is a fairly new reader!

I was at work Monday and a gentleman walked in and asked if I was Dan. I said "yes" - it's not all that uncommon for people to come in and ask for me - but then he said, "I read your blog." It kinda caught me off guard. For a split second I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. My mind was racing back through thousands of posts, stuff I had written recently, wondering who I had offended now....... But he smiled and I decided maybe it was okay.

I don't want to say too much about him - for his protection - but it really made my day that he stopped to see me. He is a pastor too, and in a similar situation, and said he just felt like it was what he was supposed to do. So who knows what may come of it. Did I say it made my day?

Well, it gets better. Interestingly enough, and the reason he happened across the blog, he said he actually had an interview at my old church. It was before he knew anything about me or the blog. He shared how, during the interview, he got a really strange vibe from one particular person (I didn't even have to guess who), and that's when he started to look into the church a little more. Then he ran across my blog (I'm sure they hate that). So we chatted briefly and shared a few stories. I tried to be as cordial and polite as I could about the former situation. Actually, I don't think I said much at all. But I'd say it was a wise decision to not look into the job any further. Whew, the last thing I would want to be is the 5th pastor in a row to leave ministry after being at that church. Being the 4th is bad enough.

I really do feel bad saying that. I mean, I DO think they are good people. We had some really good times there, and a lot of good things happened. But, man, there's a spirit at work there or something that simply does not rest. It is sad. Really sad... [starting to wander off...] Okay, sorry for the diversion... What do I know... I'll just leave it at that. Aaaaanyway.....

So, if you, my new friend, are still reading... thank you so much for taking the step of faith and looking me up. It was great to meet you. Hopefully we will happen across each other again.

No comments: