Monday, December 15, 2014

The girls are back in town, and mowing (maybe)

The three lovelies ladies in my life took a weekend trip to Chicago. They left Saturday around noon, got a hotel right downtown, did a little shopping, a little sight-seeing, went to the Shedd Aquarium, and got home last night. It sounds like they had a swell time, and that Anna was a near-perfect little princess. I'm glad they got to spend some time together, and it allowed me a chance to indulge my introverted side with some quiet time at home. :)

While they were gone I ran the gas line and hooked up the gas stove/fireplace, then yesterday after church and lunch with Drew and the boys, I MOWED THE LAWN!  Not that I really mowed much grass, but there were a bunch of leaves left over that I didn't rake to the curb for the city to pick up. So I just mowed everything over. It does actually look a lot better. I'm not sure I can really count it as a mowing though. At any rate, I ran the mower over the lawn, and then ran it out of gas. I may actually take it up to the storage facility and put it in my climate controlled unit for the winter now.

Some of the Chicago pics...


 

4 comments:

bill Sloat said...

Amen on the introvert thing, there, bubba.

MR said...

I bet when Anna is older and Carrie asks her "do you remember that time Grandma Jane took us to Chicago?" She's going to say "which time?"

MR said...

AND... I actually have more to say about this. First of all, I was thinking of mowing my lawn to get the leaves too, and now I think I probably will.

BUT... what I was really meaning to say was, your daughter shares your intensity. Every pore "feels". Which makes her a REALLY good Mother although pummeling self-doubt will always, always keep that title just out of reach of her ever-escalating standard. Which sounds eerily familiar to me.

BUT! Still not my point, I'm totally setting it up... and I'm getting there. To that end, from my third-person post modern... deco... original. baroque-ass asparagus viewpoint I am beginning to think it's not a coincidence that this person who knows you both the best shows up when either of you are tight as piano wire with something to remove you from the environment and reboot you.

AND... as great as it would be to see this work in a larger model, say, a church, the universe seems to be resistant to good people trying to make other people good. Rather that each soul resolves one way or another of it's own volition given it's particular path of trials and opportunities.

...wut?

Cliff's Notes: Go Jane!

Pastor D said...

I served. Parish in South Chicago and we just love the city. We try to get up there a few times a year. We take the South Shore train out of Chesterton so we don't have to hustle with traffic and parking. Costs $7.50 per person and kids travel for free and it gets you downtown in about an hour.

Oh and be forewarned American Girl has its headquarters downtown Chicago and it is a cult! Thank goodness Nike town and virgin records is across the street! Glad the girls had a wonderful time!

And the fire place looks grand!