Friday, September 18, 2015

Coaching and evangelism


I listened to another free Coach Approach webinar while at work yesterday. This one was on "How Coaching Changes Evangelism (for the better!)," and was led by Chad Hall and Bill Copper.

I will have access to the notes later, but wanted to jot down some of the things I wrote down while listening.

In a nutshell, this is what it was about: "A coach approach to evangelism calls for a change in the way we have conversations, which requires a change in our mindset, our skill set, and our relationships."

There are three key shifts we need to make:
  • from Telling to Asking
  • from Delivery to Discovery
  • from Debate to Dialogue
Some random things I wrote down:

- A couple good questions: "What's going well in your life?" and "What's at the center of your life?"

- "Be more curious about what could be, than certain about what is." (Bill Copper)

- Ask "discovery" questions rather than "test" questions.

- Steps for asking great questions: Listen.

- "Children learn to walk by falling down, but you don't let them fall down the stairs." (Jane Creswell)

- If people can own their ideas it is far better (ie. they'll be more motivated) than trying to get them to "buy in" to what your trying to sell.

- Some good questions to begin evangelism conversations:
  • What's going on in your life?
  • What are you dreaming about?
  • Where are you headed in life?
  • Where is God at work in your life?
They suggested three books related to this topic:
- Faith Coaching by Chad, Bill & Kathryn McElveen
- Questioning Evangelism by Randy Newman
- Jesus Asked by Conrad Gempf

-------------------------------------------------

Overall, it was more of a reminder to me of things I've heard/read before. Probably largely because I just read 'Faith Coaching' not too long ago. So it was good in that respect. It was a good way to spend 45 minutes. I like this path, even though I feel like I'm still learning to walk it.