Friday, September 11, 2015

Things I like to do


Sometimes I have a hard time coming up with things that I like to do. I don't know if it's a fear of committing, or if I'm just a miserable person, or what. However, this morning while taking my run I had some clarity and peace with these things:

Running

I like to run. Not that I always enjoy it while I'm doing it - though I often do - but I like the idea of being a runner. My idea of enjoying retirement would be to run 5-10 miles every day. Not fast. I have no inclinations to win any races or set any records. I enjoy the calming effect it has on me physically, mentally, and even spiritually. I like feeling my feet as they move across the ground. I've written elsewhere about other elements of running that I enjoy. I like running.

Reading

I also like reading - books and articles mostly. I almost always start my day by reading through several sites online for news and info. I read from the Bible every morning. I am usually reading a book and online articles. I prefer reading to watching videos or listening to audio. And, just as with running, I don't hurry it. When I read books, I prefer reading no more than a chapter per day. Most of what I read is non-fiction though, so that may have something to do with it. I always think I need to start reading more fiction. I would probably read more than a chapter a day of fiction. Someday I need to cover some of the classics I've yet to read.

Writing

I have also finally come to grips with the fact that I do, in fact, like to write. I wish I had more time to do it, so I could be a better writer than I am, but I don't even mind writing poorly. If I had the time I would like to do more in-depth writing - something more along the lines of articles. Until then, I just write "whatever." Like running, it is somewhat therapeutic for me. I also prefer writing to talking. It's easier for me to formulate thoughts and to "see" things in written form than verbal.

So, those are things I like to do on a regular basis (daily in the case of writing and reading). A good day for me involves doing all three - preferably in the morning. I am a somewhat regimented person, and when I'm not allowed to do those things... well... I can get a little grumpy.

Live Music

One more thing that I like to do - though it doesn't need to be done as often as the other three - is sit and listen to live music. I prefer doing it with just my Lady (well, and a good crowd of people), and maybe a few drinks. This is when I am most relaxed. Generally I prefer slower, more bluesy rock-type music, but I am also a fan of folk, and every now and then I do like it to get loud and a little rowdy. I am not, however, a fan of brass, or anything stuffy.

So there you have it... These are things I like to do: run, read, write, and relax to live music with my honey. Certainly there are other things I enjoy, but these top my list. At least today.