Monday, October 24, 2016

Rat race 10k


Yesterday Jane and I ran in the River City Rat Race. It is an optional 5k or 10k. Whichever race you finish is the one you run. I was planning to do the 5k - because I haven't run since the half marathon 2 weeks ago. However my dear lady had other plans. So.... we ran the 10k, and survived.

I enjoy this race. It is a fundraiser for the local YMCA (where both Jane and Carrie are employed), and it is a beautiful course. It starts downtown and finishes at the old fort.

We didn't set any land speed records, but for not having run much lately, I was happy just to be able to finish. I think we covered the 6.-some miles in an hour and 6 minutes. We both registered it at 6.33 miles, so that was a little longer than a 10k, but who's counting.

Another nice thing about this race is the shirts. They probably have the nicest shirts of any event we've participated in.

Also, the Drew Carrie family were course volunteers between the 5 and 6 mile points. So we got to get hugs from the grandkids along the way.

All in all it was a beautiful day, and I feel blessed that we can both still run at our age.