Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Vacation (holiday)

"Vacation is what you take when you can't take what you've been taking any longer." ~ Cowardly Lion (Wizard of Oz)

Can you tell where my mind is? :) I found that quote on Wikipedia (so I'm sure it's legit). Also, listed under "VACATION" they have the Minimum vacation times around the world. It's quite interesting. Many places require 3, 4, 5 weeks or more of vacation per year. South Africa's is 21 CONSECUTIVE days, even.

I'm no economist or sociologist, but I wonder if the length of vacation time is in any way associated with capitalism or not? Just wonderin'.

At any rate, I won't be leaving until Monday, and I'll be back the following Monday. So maybe I'll think of something else to write about before then. :)

Peace, peeps. Revolution(ate)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I saw a short documentary on the overall productivity of a nation (and its workers) based on time off. They found that there is both higher producivity and worker morale when there is enough vacation time. Canada & the US are close to the right amount, though it is slipping. Enjoy the time off!

Peace,
Jamie

dan said...

Yes, I would agree - both in the productivity/morale regard, and that time off is slipping. And I think it depends largely on the type of work too - not to minimize any type of work, but I think there is a difference. It's easier to disassociate with some than with others. Thanks, Jamie.

Chris Monroe said...

My European relatives all seem to take at least 30 consecutive days of vacation (i.e. "holiday") each year. I'm not completely sure what our problem is here in the U.S. My #1 guess? "Materialism-driven workaholism"

Blessings on your upcoming week away!

dan said...

Chris,
I just read where you are on vacation/holiday now (I didn't know). No wonder you've had so much to say about it! :) Good deal. Hope you're enjoying it.