Friday, August 11, 2006

post-Christian

It seems everyone wants to be "post" something anymore: post-modern, post-evangelical, post-emergent. And, yes, it even sounds like some followers of Jesus want to be "post-Christian."

I can relate to much of this post-ness, because, I admit, I have a bit of a rebellious streak in me. It's not something I'm proud of, but... it's there yaknow. And maybe that's not what all the post-feelings are about, but I think to a large extent it is. People don't want to be aligned with the mainstream, or the popular. So it's much cooler to say or infer that "I'm BEYOND all that."

Well, you can be whatever it is you want to be, but as for me and my butt... I just want the record to show that I am a Christian. In the sense that I am a follower of the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. I believe it is because of and through him that I have a relationship with God and any hope whatsoever. That said, yes, there are many things about other Christians that I am embarrassed of. There are many things I dislike about "the church" - Christ's body. There are imperfections contained in it's worldly form. But... I will just have to live with it until glory comes.

It's the same with my family and friends. None of them are perfect (although Jane, Carrie & Isaac are close). They all have their own problems and struggles, and I don't love them any less because of that. I don't think, "gee, if they don't overcome this and start to behave just like me, I'm going to become post-family." In fact, I don't WANT THEM TO BE just like me. Things would be even worse. I NEED them to be who they are. Because, though I don't often like to admit it, oftentimes it is because of who they are that makes up for my own shortcomings. I am glad for the fact that they accept me and love me in spite of how I sometimes am.

So... yeah... I am a Christian. And glad to be one. My bigger "family" might not always be perfect, but most of the time we're doing the best we can.

That's all for this post.

Peace. Revolution.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan,

Well said. Several years ago, some fellow YWAM workers in another region id something that I found distasteful at best, unacceptable at worst. I started questiong whether I wanted my name associated with YWAM if YWAM was associated with these practices. During prayer, I felt like God said:

"How much has been done in My name that dishonours Me?"

And so, humbled, I have come to keep the name, and it has extended to my feelings about the name "Christian" too. Thanks!

Peace,
Jamie

dan said...

Thanks Jamie. Yes, I think we would all do well to try to look at things from God's perspective now and then. Hope the writing is going well this week.
Take care,
Dan

Chris Monroe said...

Dan,

"My bigger "family" might not always be perfect, but most of the time we're doing the best we can. "

This needs to be said more.
Thank you.

- Chris

dan said...

I agree, Chris. Thanks.
peace,
Dan

Tom said...

Reminds me of the article Yancey wrote about Henry Nouwen who was caring for a handicapped person. Yancey thought it might be a waste of Nouwen's talents:

"Physical touch, affection, and the messiness of caring for an uncoordinated person did not come easily. But [Nouwen] had learned to love Adam, truly to love him. In the process he had learned what it must be like for God to love us -- spiritually uncoordinated, retarded, able to respond with what must seem to God like inarticulate grunts and groans. Indeed working with Adam had taught him the humility and 'emptiness' achieved by desert monks only after much discipline."

dan said...

Tom,
Yes, I remember reading that article. Can't recall where it is now, but it was good. Thanks.

JAH said...

As usual, great insight. I am glad Christ doesn't give up on us like we are so often tempted to do to each other. Trying to be "the right way" can be so exhausting when everyone else is defining that way for you...
JAH

dan said...

JAH,
Thanks dear. I'm glad you never gave up either. :)
love,
d.