Saturday, September 30, 2006

Crazy But Not Alone

The 13th and final chapter of Shane Claiborne's "The Irresistible Revolution." I close this book as though I am saying good-bye to an old friend. It was a worthwhile read, but I am always sad at the end of books like this -- I don't want to 'forget the face.' It's so easy to do. Shane challenged me greatly, but he reminded me of my first love; he pried open tired eyes; he renewed hope and restored heart. Please, Lord, don't let me forget. Help me get over myself.

Just a few quotes to end with:

p. 346 "We have to remind each other that we are not crazy, or that if we are crazy, at least we are not alone. Jesus and most of the apostles were accused of being crazy. Lots of saints were nearly institutionalized, and some actually were.”
Yessir, yessir. This is what I wish our 'communites of worship' were more about. WE'RE ALL ON THE SAME SIDE (meaning 'Christians'). I wish we could quit nitpicking and do more pulling together... and something might actually happen as a result.

p. 349 "We must neither get used to the darkness of human suffering or fall asleep in the comfort of the light."
Yep. It is so easy to accept the way things are - either in becoming desensitized to the world, or getting comfortable with our safe distance from her problems.

p. 354 “If you have the gift of frustration and the deep sense that the world is a mess, thank God for that; not everyone has that gift of vision. It also means that you have a responsibility to lead us in new ways. Recognizing that something is wrong is the first step toward changing the world. So for those of us who have nearly given up on the church, may we take comfort in the words of St. Augustine: “The Church is a whore, but she’s my mother.” She is a mess and has many illegitimate children. But she is also our momma and managed to give birth to us and give us enough of the truth that we have been able to ask the questions that we have in this book.”
Yes. I liked his call to 'be' the church, rather than to 'leave' the church. He went on to say on p. 354: I once heard a pastor say, “The church is like Noah’s ark. It stinks, but if you get out of it, you’ll drown.”

The final quote, from p. 356 “One friend was asked by a skeptic, ‘You all are just a little group of radical idealists. What makes you actually think you can change the world?’ And she said, ‘Sir, if you will take a closer look at history you will see… that’s the only way it has ever been done.’ Welcome to the irresistible revolution, a new and ancient way of life that is so attractive, who would settle for anything else? Welcome to the revolution of little people, guerrilla peacemakers, and dancing prophets, the revolution that loves and laughs. The revolution begins inside each of us, and through little acts of love, it will take over the world. Let us begin to be Christians again. Jesus, give us the courage.”

What more can be said. LET US BEGIN TO BE CHRISTIANS AGAIN. Jesus, give us courage. Amen and amen.

Peace, friends. Revolution(ate).

7 comments:

JAH said...

Thanks for sharing excerpts from this book. I am anxious to begin it as my next read. I hope it becomes more than that for us.

Chris Monroe said...

Dan, I know how you feel. Shane's example to too valuable to slowly fade away from our mind, our intent, and especially... our actions.

I ended up buying 6 extra copies and handing them out to select people in our congregation so that we could discuss together. It's been powerful so far.

Blessing, friend.

Chris

dan said...

Chris,
Good idea about buying the extra's. I'm going to try to get some people to tag along to hear Shane in a couple of weeks. Maybe they'll buy their own! :)
Thanks for the comment.
dh

Anonymous said...

It's interesting how I happened across your blog. I am just starting to read the Irresistible Revolution. You also made reference to McLaren. In some of his books he made reference to a revolution too. A new kind of Christianity. God has been showing me that it is all about love. I am excited. I feel like something big is about to happen. I am trying my best to be apart of it and to embody the love that Jesus spoke so much of.

dan said...

Hi Emily,
You're enthusiasm is evident. Grace and peace to you on your journey.
Thanks for stopping in!
dh

Robin said...

It almost seems like we're running a relay :). You're passing off the baton (ending this book) as I'm beginning my leg of the race (and Emily and JAH and who knows who else!). With all the excerpts and personal musings from DDM, your readers will be meeting a familiar friend in Claiborne's Irresistible Revolution.

It's all things kids and sports this weekend, and I've taken my copy everywhere. Frustratingly, kids and sports and spectator friends have kept me from getting too far into it, though.

Between you and Chris and a host of others, I've become a better book collector than book completer :/ (know of any good speed reading courses?).

Thanks for sharing your insights...

dan said...

Hi Robin,
I'm sure you'll find time to read it once you start. And I'm sure you also know... there will always be another book to read, but there won't always be things to do with kids and friends. :)
Happy reading (eventually).
dh