Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Pledging Allegiance: When Kingdoms Collide

Oh my. Shane Claiborne has connected with me again in chapter 7 of “The Irresistible Revolution.” So much so that I may have to change the title of my blog back to Peace Revolution before the day is out.

Some of you know that perhaps the biggest turmoil I have experienced since becoming a full-time pastor was when I took the American flag out of the sanctuary. I finally gave in and accepted defeat… or at least decided to work from a different angle. I just don't think any nations flag has any place in the church… unless we have the flag of ALL nations. It’s not that I am anti-American. But it’s a country. Being American does not make you Christian. As Shane says on p. 212, “Christianity was not invented in America… how about that!” I honestly think there are some people who think it was. He is the God of the universe. And we are to love EVERYBODY.

Shane says on p. 193, “It is a dangerous day when we can take the cross out of the church more easily than the flag. No wonder it is hard for seekers to find God nowadays. It’s difficult to know where Christianity ends and America begins.” I wonder what it’s like in other countries?

There is just wayyyy too much for me to include here. Again, it’s not about being anti-American, but about being pro-Jesus.

On 199 he has a nice story about a boy who tells him he figured out who invented guns. When he was 8 years old he said it was, “Satan… because Satan wants us to destroy each other, and God wants us to love each other.” Out of the mouths of babes…

Perhaps the best quote in the book so far… on p.207: “I have pledged allegiance to a King who loved evildoers so much he died for them, teaching us that there is something worth dying for but nothing worth killing for.” Somehow pledging allegiance to a flag seems so… small.

Just one more quote (there are so many good ones I am leaving out). P. 219, “Too often we just do what makes sense to us and ask God to bless it. In the Beatitudes, God tells us what God blesses – the poor, the peacemakers, the hungry, those who mourn, those who show mercy – so we should not ask God’s blessing on a declaration that we will have no mercy on evildoers. We know all too well that we have a God who shows mercy on evildoers, for if he didn’t, we’d all be in big trouble, and for that, this evildoer is very glad. Rather than do what makes sense to us and ask God’s blessing, we’d do better to surround ourselves with those whom God promises to bless, and then we need not ask God’s blessing. It’s just what God does.”

I don’t mean to step on anyone’s nationalistic pride… but please don’t tell me I have the freedom to be a follower of Jesus because of military strength or the place I live. Jesus was not an American. Not that there’s anything wrong with that… but let’s just be clear.

That’s all for now. Peace to all. Let’s make it a revolution.

5 comments:

Milton Stanley said...

Yes, let's do be clear. And let's call things by what they are. Veneration of the U.S. flag is idolatry, pure and simple (When was the last time you placed your right hand over your heart and pledged allegiance to the cross?). It's better to be fired from an idolatrous congregation than to join in the shame of preaching in a church building with an American flag.

Some congregations try to have it both ways by displaying the so-called Christian flag in the auditorium with the US one. And which one is placed in the place of honor?

Down the street from me there's a Presbyterian church with a flag pole flying the American and so-called Christian flag. Guess which one's on top? Old Glory. That speaks volumes about that congregation.

dan said...

Milton,
Thanks for being clear. I agree. Though I still have a U.S. flag in the building, it is no longer in the altar area, and it mysteriously became shorter and switched positions with the Christian flag. :) Someday maybe I'll grow balls again.
peace,
dh

Tammie said...

Milton, thanks so much for that comment! I am in a position that requires me to attend various public meetings which inevitably begin with the pledge of allegiance (appropriate in that setting, perhaps, but that's not the point at the moment). In the past few months I have been increasingly uncomfortable about it and couldn't put my finger on why I was having that feeling. Then I read the comment and it struck me that is what I have been thinking even though I never realized that's what I was thinking ... if that makes any sense.

Dan, you've gotten ahead of me now in the book. I'll have to work on catching up in between reading the whole New Testament for a class in a couple of weeks! :)

dan said...

Tammie,
Actually, I was just thinking I needed to slow down on Irr. Rev. - take some time to chew on it. Now, the NT... I hear that's some interesting reading!
peace,
dh

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord Pastor for your stand! This is a little late. I had just found this article when looking up the 'official' Christian flag in Google.

Interesting ... When you look at the Christian flag (accepted as that), does it resemble ANY other flag?????

Hmmmm... how 'bout the US Flag?? No wonder Muslims cannot see the difference between Christianity and America. Folks ... we have a lot of re-thinking to do in the Church ... ALOT.