Thursday, May 03, 2007

On my mind...

  • I have no idea who Andrea is, and I don’t really want to know. But her poetry has been so good for my soul. (It's nothing personal Andrea. I just like your poems.)
  • I wish I could speak less, but say more.
  • I really appreciate those people who respond to inquiries. I’ve been struggling in dealing with musicians, artists, and agents lately… but the one’s who are quick to respond are such a joy.
  • I DO NOT like long tables. You know, the potluck tables that most churches and schools used to have (or still have). That is all our church has. They are as ‘anti-community’ as church pews. They force people to sit all in a row, and minimize the ability to converse. I want to get all small, square tables for our church. Say, about 30”x30”. Like in a restaurant/coffee house. That way you could put them all together if you needed long-ass rows, but you could also separate them and allow people to ‘group’ more – thus enabling more intimate conversation and allowing people the freedom to ‘join from afar’ if they want. You know, a couple could attend something as a part of the group, but still sit by themselves. Anyway, I’m getting visions of redoing our church basement. Huge potential. Do I think it will ever fly… hmm. I also wish we had them for our pavilion.
  • I think a lot of people go through life seeking the approval of their parents; but I never thought about those parents who go through life seeking the approval of their children. This isn’t so much about my children, as my parents. 2x4.
  • Rhythm. I messaged with a friend yesterday about the importance of attaining or maintaining a ‘spiritual rhythm’ in life. I believe that’s what this relationship with God thing is all about: finding and staying in rhythm. I believe that's what life itself is all about: finding and staying in the rhythms ordained for us by our Creator. That’s why practicing the spiritual disciplines of prayer, contemplation, silence, fasting, etc. are important. It’s not the “doing of them” that’s important; it’s the rhythm they help establish… what they draw us to. Sync.
  • A line from Andrea’s “retreat moments”:
let my life be a poem that tells of your care
always ready to rise up on trusting wings
and risk the wind.

Amen, indeed. Peace, peeps.

1 comment:

JAH said...

A "spiritual rhythm" is a beautiful phrase. It's sounds very peaceful and deeply serene. I think we could all use more of that.