Saturday, May 05, 2007

Take me out to the ballgame

Last night Lady Jane and I utilized our free F.W. Wizards tickets (and it only cost $22 to park & eat) and watched them play the Peoria Chiefs. It wasn't the greatest night for a baseball game (a bit windy), but it wasn't bad either. We sat in our ticket seats at first. We almost saw a 2-year-old girl get mangled by a foul ball, but an alert youngster with his glove snagged it not inches from her head at the last minute. That kinda woke everyone in our section up. Later we moved to the other side - to get out of the wind - and we had TWO foul balls come within arms length of our seats. I shoulda had at least one of them, but... why? I have no need for a baseball. Anyway, it was funny, because after the first one, kids just flocked to our area. You know, if they hit one here, then that's where the next one comes, right? Sure enough it did. It was just wierd though, we had been sitting in this entire section by ourselves, and all of a sudden we're surrounded by 8-year-olds. Kinda brought back fond memories of our 1-year stint as peewee league coaches. I actually enjoyed being around the little nippers.

We ended up leaving during the seventh inning stretch. I was never much of a baseball fan, but it was fun to watch the crowd. I guess it did go to 11 innings. Oddly enough, even though I live in Fort Wayne, I read the Peoria newspaper every morning, so that's where I read the results of the game.

The Coliseum was c-r-o-w-d-e-d last night too. Minor league baseball, Vera Bradley sale, and Larry the Cable Guy concert all at once. Whew, and we made it out alive!

Today we're supposed to start moving dirt for our playground area. And wouldn't you know it looks like rain. This afternoon we're going to help Isaac move to his new place in Anderson. Should be a good day - though maybe a bit wet.

3 comments:

MR said...

The picture of the kid at the top has been floating around the internet since pre-2004, and if you look closely, he's a little Red Sox fan.

I'd say he's showing admirable restraint.

dan said...

Yeah, I'd seen the pic before too. And I was sick of looking at it on my spot so I removed it. Things like that really tick me off - that little kids have learned to act like that, that adults act like that... that I act like that sometimes.

I like the pic I left. that's how I wanna be.

MR said...

Yeah, but the "good" kid seems to be holding up the ball with just his thumb and one finger.