Monday, July 09, 2007

Reading the bible

I think I went 7 or 8 years or so where I read through the Bible each year. Then I got a 2-year Bible - one of those that breaks it down for you with an OT, NT, Psalm and Proverb each day and it takes you 2 years to get through. Then I used a Daily Bible Reading Guide from the American Bible Society - which basically has about a chapter a day. They say it 'covers the basics.' Then... I thought, 'you know, this is really getting mundane; I just read because I have to, so I'm going to quit.' And I did. For the past many months I have hardly read the Bible at all other than to study for sermons or whatever. And I don't know that it was wrong of me to stop reading on a daily basis, because it had become a bit of a grind. But yesterday I started again. I NEED to read it every day. I believe God's word is "living and active"... but I don't know how alive and active it is if I'm not interacting with it. Yes, it is time. I will start back with the ABS Daily Bible Reading Guide, but either mid-year, or at least at the beginning of next year, I want to start reading through the Bible every year again, or every 2 years. It's a new day...

4 comments:

Tom said...

I got an extra Message one year if you want it.

Tammie said...

I had the same problem ... realizing that I was reading the Bible almost as a task to be checked off a list each day rather than any attempt to encounter God.

One thing that has helped me ... some will think it horribly mundane ... is concentrating on one book for a length of time but using different translations. For example, I started with Colossians in the TNIV. Day one reading through the entire book. Days 2, 3, 4 and 5 were reading each chapter. Then I broke it down into smaller sections within the chapter. When I made it the whole way through, I switched up to a paraphrase.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started, but it turned out to be very insightful.

So, there ya go ... for whatever it may be worth.

MR said...

I read a Lucky Charms box the other day.

dan said...

Tom,
Sure. I hardly ever turn down something for free.

Tammie,
That sounds like a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Mike,
Sorry, but unless it was Cheerios or Captain Crunch, you've got the wrong translation.