Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Getting out of Jesus' way

This certainly gave me some food for thought this morning. Ben Arment says "I Won't Be Somebody's Jesus Crutch": (h/t Milton Stanley - again)

Jesus gets in your business. To welcome him is to invite agonizing and self-demolishing life-change. For the average church-goer, the conviction is almost too much to bear. So we look for someone who might take his place in order to construct an easier form of Christianity.

Enter the pastor.

Whenever people come into our church, I'm aware that some of them already have a job description for me in their heads. My teaching is expected to supplant their time in the word. My prayers are expected to sustain them. My pastoral care is expected to comfort them. And my personal interaction is expected to please them.

I quit that job.

My job is to decrease so that Jesus can increase.

No comments: