Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Hiroshima crawl

I ended up driving down to see my favorite scream band in all the world last night - Hiroshima Mon Amour. I wasn't sure if the weather was going to cooperate, but it was alright for the trip down. The trip home was a different story.

Anyway, I didn't realize it was HMA's cd release show. Good thing I brought money, so I could buy two copies. They put on a great show - even though they hadn't played for four months. It says on their myspace that they don't just want people to listen to their music, they want you to FEEL it. Man, they do that. And I don't know that it's just because I'm the father of one of their members, but there is just an energy that builds up to the start of their shows and... then... all... of... a... sudden...... THEY JUMP DOWN YOUR THROAT!!!! It's hard to contain my grin when they're playing. :) Sometimes people will describe a band as "tight." That is definitely a good way to describe them. The core (Isaac, Aaron, and Graham) have played together since 7th grade.

The evening actually started well too. Start time was scheduled for 7 pm, but I've been around long enough to know we could get there at 7:30 and not miss anything. Some douche bag named ANDREW CAMP opened. Hahahaha. He's not really a douche bag - that's an inside joke. He called son Isaac that from the stage, and was terribly embarrassed later on. :) Actually, Andrew was really, really, really good. I like his style, voice, and strum. And he didn't even have his band.

The next band - Banana Seat Project - was a jam band that reminded me of hanging out at a Jesus People thing. They were good, but... you know, honestly it went a bit long. My opinion on jam bands is this: start out doing a long jam, but every now and then break into something everyone knows, just to give our minds a break. I wasn't real impressed with how they ended and exited though, but... whatever.

When I left at 10:20 I was not prepared for the trip home. It started snowing pretty hard, and not long after getting on I-69 North everything came to a screeching halt. The semi in front of me AND the one behind me both started going sideways when we tried to slow down. Eventually everyone got stopped, and there was a semi jack-knifed in the road on the other side just ahead of us. It came from our side though. So we went about 20 mph for a long, long time. We saw 4 semi's on their side in all. We were never stopped for long, but the other side was in a couple of places. In 62 miles of interstate we never got over 50 mph the rest of the way home though. So what should have been an hour trip was actually an hour and 45 minutes (Shelly, did you make it home alright? Jim and I worried about you all the way).

At any rate, it was worth it. A good night last night was. Well done, son. And Andrew, Austin, Aaron, Graham, and Joel too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

man oh man i wish i could have been there.

dan said...

I'm glad you weren't on the roads though. I got you a cd.

Anonymous said...

Yep...safe and sound right about midnight. I'm sure glad I had my new Gaither cd with me! I had time to figure out all the songs on the way home!

I got a bit turned around in Anderson getting to 32. I found the same gas station I stopped at the last time I got turned around there.

I probably should have asked for one of your numbers just in case. I had nervous butterflies when I came upon the flashing lights. I knew you were ahead of me and was worried about you guys too.