Thursday, May 15, 2008

Blessing sunday

I don't know if that's what I would call it, but... I've always wanted to have a Sunday where our church doesn't meet together. Instead, we would disperse ourselves to other area churches and try to be a "blessing" in their Sunday worship gathering.

I'm not suggesting that our church is somehow better than other churches, because we are not. But I believe there are churches all around, with people who really want to worship God, who really want to have vibrant services, who really want to see people come to Jesus, and see justice carried out and all that... but they are discouraged and unmotivated by years of rejection and mundanity (I'm not sure if that's a word). A 'Blessing Sunday' probably wouldn't solve anything, but I think - at least for one Sunday - it might inspire some folks to hear some extra voices singing, and to have some smiling faces to pass the peace with, and I know a few more attentive minds during the sermon never did any pastor any harm. It would be a small thing, really, because we're a small church ourselves.... but it would be something.

I wonder if it might also be a way to chip away at breaking down some walls; helping people realize that our churches are not in competition with one another, but we are on a mission TOGETHER.

I don't know... maybe stuff like this is stupid. But I remember talking to someone several years ago - this young couple who had decided to leave their "hip, contemporary church" and started attending a teeny little church full of gray hairs. Not that they disliked their other church, but they just felt they wanted to help make a difference somewhere. So many of these little churches are so discouraged, and these people wanted to help them learn that they did, in fact, have value and a purpose, and a reason for existing and whatnot.

Oh, I doubt that it will ever happen. I told my church Sunday that I'd like to try it sometime and they can fire me afterwards if they want. But... I'm basically just a dreamer.

Blessings to ya.

1 comment:

JAH said...

I will always firmly believe that dreaming is a good thing.