Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Early and often

It's been quite the fun time today. It is Primary Tuesday in Indiana, and there's been a pretty steady stream of voters coming through our church building all morning. I was here at 4:30 a.m. to make coffee and unlock the door for the workers. I didn't cast my vote until around 7:45 though (polls are open from 6 am to 6 pm). I only pushed one button because I hadn't heard of anyone else on the two-page ticket. Did my civic duty for the day.

It was a little bit funny... when you sign in you have to declare either: "D", "R", or "SB." There are like 6 people working at our little precinct, and I asked what the "SB" stood for. Hehe... the four who were standing there didn't have a clue. Finally the lone guy came in and said it's "split ballot." Of course, you can't use that during the primary anyway, but... I thought it was funny that no one knew.

And we did have a little excitement when a lady came in and voted on the Republican ticket, but somehow they found out she'd already voted absentee as a Democrat. I haven't heard yet what they ended up doing, but it was sure the talk of the voting room.

The election workers just fed me barbecue and chips, and I need to walk over to the house and see how the carpet layers are doing. They arrived around 10 am. I made Bogey stay outside in the fenced-in back yard. He doesn't like spending anymore time outside than it takes to go potty. He can rough it for a little while.

Peace out; and in.

No comments: