Sunday, July 06, 2008

Track on tv

I admit it... I love to watch track & field on television. Especially the sprints. I don't think I'm gay (not that there's anything wrong with that), but the chiseled bodies of the 100, 200, and 400 meter runners blasting down the track is a thing of sheer beauty to me. Plus, you know, *I* was a sprinter at one time. I believe I've said before that I actually started college on a track scholarship.

Yesterday I watched the men's 200 meter qualifier for the US Olympic team, and I was bummed to see Tyson Gay go down. I liked him, and hope he is alright. I was also interested to see Wallace Spearman. His dad was one of the big names when I was in high school. I remember him, and Sunder Nix, and Michael Conley Sr. (who I actually ran against). I know Mike and Sunder were both Olympic champions eventually. Mike's son is now in the NBA, and I was surprised to see that Sunder is now a track coach at Ball State University - just down the road from us. I remember watching him run the 400 meters in high school, and he had a kick like I had never seen before in my life. It dropped my jaw to the floor.

Anyway, I am looking forward to watching more track and field with the Olympics coming up.

Peace out; and in.

No comments: