Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Six characteristics of church community

Dan Sheffield has a post "Do We Need A Missional 'Scorecard'?" I don't know about all that, but I like the list he gave from Lesslie Newbigin's 'The Gospel In A Pluralist Society' of "6 characteristics that should serve as a congregational hermeneutic of the good news." I'm not sure why you can't just say, "6 things I would like our church to be about," but anyway, click over to Dan's blog to read the details. Here are the six things:
1. a community of praise.
2. a community of truth.
3. a community that is deeply involved in the concerns of its neighborhood.
4. a commonity where men and women are prepared for and sustained in the exercise of their preisthood in the world.
5. a community of mutual responsibility.
6. a community of hope.

I like these. And I agree with D.S. that I don't like the idea of a 'scorecard.'

No comments: