Monday, June 22, 2009

I was on tv (DreamRiders)

I was on tv this past weekend. It aired on the Travel channel at 8 pm and midnight Saturday and 10 am Sunday (ch. 215 on our Dish). DreamRiders is "The true story of a father, a son, and a 4,000 mile journey in search of each other." You can find all kinds of information, as well as the awards it has won, at www.dreamridersmovie.com. About 1 hour and 45 minutes into the 2 hour documentary you can see me, our house, the church, and a glimpse of Jane. There is a link at http://www.dreamridersmovie.com/alexander.htm which just shows the part I'm in. They are riding by the church and our house, and then pull in at our neighbors family reunion. I'm one of only 2 white guys in the spot (besides the two bicyclers). I didn't even recognize myself, because it was a few years ago, when I had longer hair. I'm the white guy in a white t-shirt and tan shorts.

I remember this day - maybe 4 or 5 years ago. My neighber (Ken) was having a family reunion. He always invites us, and everyone else at our church, and there are bunches of people there all weekend. So we were partying away and these two bicyclers stopped in, and there was a mobile home with a film crew with them. They told us they were making a movie, and that it was a father and son bicycling across the country to try to restore their relationship. I had no idea if it was for real or not. But they hung out for awhile, and ate and talked with people. The funny thing is, my neighbor wasn't even there at the time, so he's not in the movie.

I've only watched the part from Ken's house, but Jane stayed up and watched the whole thing, and she said another interesting tidbit is that it was just before they got to our place that the father and son kind of had their first "break-through" in their relationship. So that's kind of cool.

Anyway, I appreciate Bill Roulston (the father) contacting me about it, and the special link he made for my neighbor and his family.

2 comments:

Isaac Horwedel said...

I actually got a little teary-eyed watching that...

dan said...

Yeah, I've watched a few more bits and pieces and it's pretty intense. I guess Father's Day was a good time to air it.