Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Post-church perspective

I have not read any of Frank Viola's books, but I recently came across this article: "Frank Viola on the Post-Church Perspective." To be honest, I was kind of surprised that I basically agreed with him, because from the things I'd heard about him and seen from him, I didn't think I would. Granted, I am probably a little biased towards church (as the body of Christ and local faith communities alike), because I happen to LOVE everything about the church (well, okay, maybe not EVERYthing; I am well aware there are some pretty deformed expressions of it out there). I have not always had such a love for her though, and this is why I also care a great deal about those who have been hurt by, or turned off to, the church. Overall, though, while I likely have a much looser definition of what constitutes a church community than Frank does, I think he does touch on some simple hard truths in this article - you can't call just any ol' gathering of people "church." But... I also realize I'm so far in the forest that maybe I can no longer see the trees either. So, I dunno. I think it's a good article nonetheless.

Peace out; and in.

No comments: