Friday, December 11, 2009

Unboxed jesus

I liked this piece in the last chapter of Max Lucado's book 'Fearless.' He says on p. 164, "...when it comes to defining Christ, no box works." He says...
His Palestinian contemporaries tried, mind you. They designed an assortment of boxes. But he never fit one. They called him a revolutionary; then he paid his taxes. They labeled him as a country carpenter; but he confounded scholars. They came to see his miracles, but he refused to cater. He defied easy definitions. He was a Jew who attracted Gentiles. A rabbi who gave up on synagogues. A holy man who hung out with streetwalkers and turncoats. In a male-dominated society, he recruited females. In an anti-Roman culture, he opted not to denounce Rome. He talked like a king yet lived like a pilgrim. People tried to designate him. They couldn't. We still try.

He goes on to point out how he's also not a "do-me-a-favor" Jesus... or a "make-me-a-buck" Jesus... or a "Jesus-of-my-making"... or "Jesus-of-my-politics"... In fact, he is not box-sized at all. That's what makes him so great, isn't it? We can't define him, but hopefully he will come to define us. That's what I want.

As far as this book overall... I know it probably makes me rather uncool in most circles, but I really enjoyed it, as I have enjoyed all of Max's books. I'm glad I read it.

No comments: