- Perhaps restart the Monday night prayer thing. Just set aside an hour for people to gather and pray together at the church building. Not sure if we should do it every Monday, or maybe once a month... like the first Monday of every month or something.
- Third Sunday Gatherings. Again, restart an old idea - where we gather together for supper the third Sunday of every month. Just have everybody bring something to share, and the church will provide drinks and table service.
- A 'Jesus Prayer' morning. Some Sunday morning spend the sermon time having everyone simply recite the Jesus Prayer for 20 minutes ("Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.")
- Reports on greats of the faith. See if different people would be interested in doing some minimal research on some great people of the faith and share it during our Sunday gathering (Billy Graham, Mother Teresa, D.L. Moody, MLK Jr., John Winebrenner, John Wesley, Soren Kierkegaard, Thomas Merton, St. Francis, Teresa of Avila, Martin Luther... just to name a few). Just a one-page bio or something. A good way to get people involved, as well as help us learn.
- Put together a Help Agencies Book. For some time I have wished someone would put together a three-ring binder full of 'help agencies' in our area - places where people could go to volunteer to serve others. There are tons of places already in existence in our communities. So when someone says they would like to "get involved" or "serve others," we could just point them to this book that would have the name of the agency, contact information, what they did, and what kind of volunteers they were looking for.
- Related to the above... it would also be cool if someone could line up someone from these various places to come and speak once a month, or once every other month, maybe at our Third Sunday gathering or something.
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Some ideas for church I've had swirling in my brain. Thought I better write them down before they fly away gone.