Sunday, April 25, 2010

We went to a christian concert

Friday night m'lady and I took in a Christian concert... And really enjoyed it. I don't even remember now how I found out about it - but it was just Friday afternoon - seems I saw a link from something on someone's facebook thing or something. At any rate, we were trying to decide what to do for our Friday night date, and we thought, "What the heck - let's go to this show." It was called the "Rock & Worship Roadshow" and is apparently put on by the band MercyMe.

There were several other bands that performed too: the Sidewalk Prophets, Remedy Drive, Fee, Francesca Battistelli, Family Force 5, the David Crowder Band, and of course MercyMe. We didn't arrive until Francesca, so missed Sidewalk Prophets, Remedy Drive, and Fee.

If you read here regularly you know how I feel about events like this, but I tried to have a good attitude going in. Although I will admit that we were purposely late - for reasons I won't go into now. I was kind of surprised that the Coliseum was as full as it was (not that it was full, but full enough). We made our way up to the upper deck, and there were maybe 20 or 30 other folks in the rafters with us on our side. The sound wasn't very good at all up there, but we were able to stretch out and didn't have people jumping up and down in front of us, so it was worth it. If I want to hear anyone's music I can download it or buy a cd. At any rate, it was fairly typical at first. I am not familiar with Francesca, but she seemed good enough. Even though she looked about 14 from our seats. Then Family Force 5 came out just-a-rockin'. Kind of your typical boy-band-ish group, and they all had matching clothes. It was kind of a rap/metal/pop sorta sound. Not really my thing, but I give them props for 'workin it.' They put a lot of effort into their performance, and I can respect that. Even though I couldn't understand a word they said/sang. The only thing I picked out was in one song they kept saying, "We are the chosen nation." Eh... whatever.

Things changed when the David Crowder Band came out. Which is what I expected. I have actually heard of this band, have heard good things about them, have enjoyed reading some of David's writings, and this is who I really wanted to see. I was not disappointed. I was even surprised at how many of their songs I knew. Not that I knew that I knew them, but had heard them. They put on a nice show, but what I liked was the simplicity of their lyrics, and the focus on God. They had us singing some old hymns, and I like that too. There's not much that can compare to a stadium full of people singing old hymns together. I sat and listened and David Crowder warmed even my heart towards Christian music again. I was glad I came.

Between DCB and MercyMe they had a guy come out and lead us in worship - just him and a guitar. That was nice too - for the same reasons as above. Very nice touch. Then it was MercyMe. I have never really been a big MercyMe fan, but I do like a couple of their songs I've heard on the radio, and the two times I have seen them now I have come away very impressed with them. They talked about their desire to keep ticket prices low ($10 tonight), and the lead singer just has this calming presence about him. I could listen to him talk just as easily as sing.

It was funny... I had kinda been watching the usher the whole night. He was an old guy - probably in his 70's - and for most of the night he was real stoic and official looking. I finally saw him applaud after "Word of God Speak"... and then I caught him singing along to "I Can Only Imagine." It was kinda cool.

Also, while they were doing "I Can Only Imagine" I thought about how many thousands of times they have probably sang this song - the singer even talked about it - and how old it must get to them. But he still sang it with such conviction. It made me think about how many times God has forgiven me and tried to show me his love... and I think it must always be with equal conviction every time. Kinda brings a tear to your eye when you think about it.

All in all, I was glad we went to this show. Christian music isn't so bad, you know. Sometimes you can even kinda feel His presence there.

Peace out, my friends; and in.

2 comments:

Whisky Prajer said...

I have heard enough good things about DCB that I wonder if I shouldn't give them a spin. A significant part of me, however, worries that I might not like him, pretty much securing the fact that I've fallen asleep in the handbasket.

dan said...

WP,
Those have been my thoughts EXACTLY. I was so worried about seeing DCB that I almost didn't go. And, on that note, I'm not sure how much I would like just listening to their music. I wonder if DC's persona isn't as much what I like, as the music. I wasn't so enthralled with their faster stuff, but liked the slow and simple. In fact, my favorite song of theirs (not that I've heard very many), is one I hear they hardly ever play. It's "All I Can Say"... and is on my playlist on the sidebar.

At any rate, I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know that I can give you a recommendation one way or the other though. However, what have you lost if you don't like them? :)