Saturday, July 17, 2010

The church camp out

We had our first church camp out last night. It actually went really well. And it could not have been a more perfect night to sleep outside (and also watch a movie outside).

We started around 6:30 pm. I think I lit the grill at 6:15, and then kinda waited for people to filter in. Jane didn't get home from work until 6:30. I went to get the meat to grill and Jim arrived and asked if there was anything he could do, so I handed the food to him. He did a better job than I would have of grilling us brats, hot dogs and hamburgers. Everyone brought a dish to share and the church supplied table service, and I bought canned pop, tea and bottled water. I think I got a case of water, and a 12-pack each of coke, diet pepsi, sprite, and tea. Someone else must have brought some drinks too. There wasn't really much left - which was good.

We had a nice crowd there to eat (which was maybe around 7 pm or so), and kinda just sat around under the pavilion and listened to tunes from my ipod (David Crowder, The Lions, Jakob Dylan, etc.). The kids played on the playground, and drew all over the cement and blacktop with sidewalk chalk (I guess some of the adults played and drew too). There were plenty of balls to toss around or shoot baskets or volleyball, the bag toss game, and I don't know what all else. We also had Lady the dog to entertain some of the kids. They took turns walking her around until she got wore out and I had to carry her to our house and put her to bed for the night. Scott set up a bonfire and people made smores (even though the hershey bars were kind of melted). We also took the projector outside and put a shower curtain on the pavilion wall and showed a movie. We waited until it got dark, and people were settled down a little. I think it was probably 10:15 when we started it. And I couldn't believe how good the picture was. I just used the large boombox for sound. We watched "The Climb." Not a lot of people stayed to watch it (other than the campers), but I think everyone enjoyed it. It was over around 11:45 pm. Then we put some of the food stuff away, and probably got in our tent around 12:30 or so. What a perfect night to sleep outside.

I had my phone alarm set for 6:30 this morning, and I only hit the snooze twice before Jane and I got up and started the coffee. Jane and some of the others then prepared us a great breakfast: scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs with sausage in it; hash browns, sausage links, and biscuits. I think we ate a little after 8 am. I read my morning reading for everyone before we ate - Isaiah 42:1-17. After eating and chatting we cleaned up, people put their tents away, and I think everyone was outta here by 10 am. Not bad. It was actually a really good and relaxing time. We all talked that we should maybe do it again in September.

I think there were 27 different people here sometime during the night on Friday: me, Jane, Carrie, Jim, Scott, Linda, Katie, Megan, Megan, Katie's other friend, Megan's friend, Matt, Shelley, RieAnn, Donna, Doug, Robin, Tim, Amy, Julie, Brandon, Krystal, Megan, Ethan, Miles, Amelia, and Lucious (not counting Lady). I believe 14 stayed all night in tents: me and Jane, Scott, Linda, Katie, Megan, her friend, Katie and her 2 friends, Julie, Matt, Shelley and RieAnn. So it wasn't a huge crowd, but there were many more than had signed up - which was a good thing. Not that it's good that people didn't sign up, but... you know.

Once again, we couldn't have asked for a better night. There were a million stars, and a cool sliver of a moon that changed color as it set, the movie played excellently, and there was just enough of a breeze to cool things down for a comfortable night's sleep. Thank you, Lord.

Now things are warmed back up. Worked in the office this morning, going to our neighbors for a cookout this afternoon, then we'll head down to Parkview field to take in David Crowder and others this evening. Not sure if I can stay til closing for the fireworks though. We'll see.

Peace out, my friends; and in.

No comments: