Friday, October 29, 2010

Another baby and the cowboys

My lovely wife became a great aunt again this week (which, I guess makes me a pretty awesome uncle too). That makes the third niece/nephew to have a baby this month. The first 2 were girls and this was a boy (Daniel). He was born in Pakistan where his parents are serving as missionaries. To be honest, I was a little worried. The mother (Jane's niece) had to have a c-section, and the hospitals in Pakistan are not quite like they are here. You have to bring your own supplies (diapers, food, etc.), the only pain medicines they have are Advil, and you basically take care of yourself afterward. They were fortunate to have an American doctor do the surgery (I guess). However, 2 days before delivery there was a bombing in the area and they weren't at all sure he was going to be allowed into town. Apparently things worked out though, and everyone is doing fine.

On another note... am I the only one who thinks offensive coordinator Jason Garret just might be part of the problem for the Dallas Cowboys? I mean, certainly Wade Philips has warn out his welcome. I think Wade is a great guy - I like him - and he is a great defensive coordinator. He has never shown himself to be a good head coach though. But I don't get the people who are calling for Garret to be promoted from OC to head coach. To me he has been a big part of the problem all along. The guy doesn't know how to develop a running attack. It's gotten worse each year he's been there. And, sure, they can gain yards... but they are terrible in the red zone. It doesn't matter how many yards you gain if you can't score points. I just don't think he is a good play caller, or offensive coordinator. Personally, I think what the Cowboys need to do is hire a GM (instead of Jerry Jones), get rid of the entire coaching staff this offseason, and try to find somebody who will come in and coach the team. I don't really know who at this point. I've never been a big Bill Cowher fan, but he might be a good candidate. I just hope it's not JG.

Otherwise... yesterday was my dad's 78th birthday. Jane and I took a trip to Anderson last night and saw the newly decorated Exodus House - which looks very nice now that there are several people calling it home - and we once again had some of Art's fantastic pizza (along with seeing son Isaac, which is always good).

That's about all I've got... Peace out, folks; and in.

4 comments:

Isaac Horwedel said...

I agree with you...Garret needs to go. I wish they could just move Wade to Defensive Coordinator, but that probably woulnd't work.

I've heard rumors that Bill Cowher could be head coach next year, which would be great, I think.

Who knows...

dan said...

Well, Dave Campo used to be the head coach and now he's an assistant (I think he coaches defensive backs). He came back after going somewhere else first though.

Of course, I think Jerry Jones is probably the real coach, so another real coach probably wouldn't last long (like Jimmy Johnson or Parcells).

Yep... who knows.

Tom said...

I think JJ has made great moves and the last thing he should do now is panic and make changes. He should keep everyone exactly where they are and stay the course. The only thing I think would help is if JJ made a trade to Detroit for LT Jeff Backus and center Dominic Raiola.

dan said...

Hahahaha... Yeah, I think we have quite enough former Detroit Lions on the team already. No thanks.