Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving eve moment

I got nothin' this morning. Kind of blah. It looks rainy and cold outside. I am really not interested in watching a parade. I am looking forward to the kids and possibly the neighbor man coming over later. It's not that I'm not thankful. Right now I just am.

I was thankful last night though. As I sat with my wife in a candle-lit sanctuary. Just the two of us. It was one of those moments. We moved the Midweek Meditation upstairs for the first time last night. Instrumentals of old hymns were playing ever so softly. There was a table on one side of the altar with a bowl of water for spiritual cleansing and the communion elements; a table on the other side with prayer candles. The Scripture reading was from Luke 19:1-10. Behind each table were placed some pictures of Jesus: one inviting us with open arms, one waiting at the door for those who might knock, and one looking to heaven as though praying for us. It was interesting, because I placed the pictures there more just because they were behind the tables, but when I decided to turn on just the altar lights and leave off the sanctuary lights (other than the recessed lights in the back and a bunch of candles around the room), the lights shone down directly on the pictures and it was like all had been ordained by God for just this reason. The light drew us to Jesus, so to speak. So, anyway, I spent a lot of time looking at the pictures; I wrote several pages in my journal; we prayed in silence; were forgiven of our sins; remembered Christ and were made right. It was nice.

For the "listening prayer" part, I had these four questions specifically for Thanksgiving eve:
  • Who are the people in my life that I need to thank?
  • What do I have to be thankful for that I am perhaps taking for granted?
  • How can I thank you, Lord?
  • How can I live as a more thankful person?
Yep... I prayed about that; and listened. Happy Thanksgiving.

Peace out; and in.

1 comment:

JAH said...

Midweek Meditation was an extra special time this week. The sanctuary did look especially welcoming and peaceful to me. Thankful to share the moment with you.