Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The social networks

I had someone send me a message on Myspace this morning. It's been so long since I've used Myspace that I couldn't remember my password. So then I thought I probably ought to check my Twitter account - since I hadn't been there in a long time either - and I couldn't remember that password either.

I am now wondering if I should just delete both my Myspace and my Twitter account. I don't use either of them at all anymore. Myspace used to be good to contact bands, but it's just not something I use anymore, and I can't really even get it to work very well on my computer. Talk about clunky. And Twitter... I used to like to write tweets, but I never was a real fan of it. I never did really figure out how to have a conversation on it, and I honestly just got a little tired of hearing from the same old authors hyping their books. I never did really follow very many people though. Just not my thing.

I do still enjoy Facebook. It seems to be the most versatile of all the social networks I am familiar with (blogs, FB, Myspace, and Twitter). Although, as I have gotten more and more "friends" I have become a little more reluctant to post status updates and especially notes. I have a feeling that Facebook will soon go the way of Myspace, and I will be a little disappointed because I really do like being able to connect not only with current friends, but old friends as well. For someone like me - who works mostly alone - it really is nice (it's my water cooler; or at least it used to be).

Sometimes I feel like one of the only bloggers left. I still like that as a medium, but it just seems to have gone by the wayside for so many people. There used to almost be a sense of community among bloggers, but for me at least, that seems to be gone. Either that or everyone just left me in the dust. I never did get listed in very many people's sidebars, and mine has never been a well-read blog. It's almost funny to visit some of the people who do get listed on the sidebars of the "big names"... and so many of them aren't even blogging anymore. It is sad to me. It leaves me feeling somewhat alone among my peers. Or maybe I just don't have any peers. I don't know.

At any rate, so, I am wondering if I should just delete my Myspace and Twitter accounts and just stay with Facebook and Blogger. I suppose someday I'll be saying goodbye to them too. What a depressing way to spend my lunch hour. I think I'll go to Taco Bell and get me a couple Fresco soft tacos. It is "taco tuesday" after all. Should cost me about $1.49. Probably be the highlight of my day. Although it's really foggy right now, so...

Peace out; and in.

6 comments:

Jim said...

I tweeted twice a couple years ago. Now I get an email every now and then that someone is following me, though they aren't usually people I'm interested in following me...

I've been going to deactivate, but I just never know if I will want it later...

dan said...

That's why I've kept them too, Jim. I know as soon as I deactivate I'll find a need for it. Or at least I think that. Kind of like that little piece of board in the garage, or those old tennis shoes...

Jim said...

I have 2 pairs of old tennis shoes...you just never know.

I do throw a lot of things out when I move, though, which seems to happen often enough...

Jim L said...

I'm over 4000 tweets now, with a moderate number of people I follow and who follow me (I keep the followers trimmed to "real people," not bots). I use Twitter mostly for professional stuff, and follow people who consistently post links to interesting things (and unfollow them if they don't), and try to mostly do that myself. Think of Twitter as a professional "clipping service," not as a place to have real conversations.

I'm off MySpace - closed my account some months back. I am in a love/hate relationship with FB. Love because all my family and friends are there now. Hate because every month the Zuck changes the privacy policy yet again and makes me contemplate leaving. As a programmer who's spent my entire career doing work with databases, I KNOW the power of aggregated info, and worry about what FB is doing with mine, and yours, and everyone else's.

As for blogging, I want to get back up on that horse - I've gotten lazy about it over the past three or more months. I would like to turn it into a daily discipline, just for the writing aspect. I don't give a damn (much) about who follows it. And that's the thing, Dan - when it comes to blogging as a discipline, using it for self-expression, a writing tool and a journal, you're actually my role model (really). I like how you do it day in and day out, rarely missing, even when you don't feel you have anything to write.

dan said...

Thanks Jim.

Larry Geiger said...

Delete them all, except for this blog, and then go have lunch with a real person :-)