Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Getting kitty de-clawed

I am taking the cat to have her front claws removed today. She has been meowing her head off this morning, because she couldn't have anything to eat since 10 last night. And getting her in her travel cage ought to be interesting again. She does not like it.

And I know there are people out there who think de-clawing a cat is cruel and inhumane. Whatever. Kitty's problem isn't so much that she damages anything, but she gets her claws stuck all the time. Stuck in the floor, on the curtains, in bedspreads, and our shirts. Plus we have almost always had the front claws removed from our indoor cats.

Shoot, I remember once when I was in first or second grade - or something like that, I was pretty young - we had puppies. They were German Short-Haired hunting dogs, and we had ten puppies, and my dad told me to go to the vet with him. He told me to hold them while the vet did his job. So I held the puppy down on the table and the vet lops the tail off of them. They cut the tails off to a stub so they don't make as much noise going through the weeds apparently. And like that wasn't bad enough, this particular batch of puppies almost all seemed to be born with an extra toe, so he cut off the extra toe too. Just clipped it right off. The poor puppies squealed and yelped like crazy for a minute or so... then they went about their business.

So, I will drop Kitty off on my way to the office. She will be spending the night, and then I'll pick her up tomorrow night on the way home. The worst part of this for me is that the last time I went to this place was when we put Bogey to sleep. I don't really want to go there, but... such is life.

No comments: