Wednesday, December 07, 2011

My new favorite christmas song

Other than the song from the Peanuts soundtrack, my favorite Christmas song has always been the Bing Crosby/David Bowie duet of 'Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy.' Partly because it sounds really good, and partly because I was really into Bowie when it came out in 1977. I can remember seeing it for the first time almost like it was yesterday.

Speaking of yesterday though... Yesterday I happened across my new favorite Christmas song: Over the Rhine doing 'All I Ever Get for Christmas is Blue.' Wowza. I was stunned silent.

I can remember seeing that Over The Rhine was playing at the Cornerstone Festival several times when we were there, but I honestly don't recall if we saw them or not (there are always so many bands at C-stone). I do know that I've also noticed several times when they were to be playing in Fort Wayne, and every time I wanted to go see them but for some reason or other wasn't able to. After catching the aforementioned Youtube though, I really want to go see them the next time they are in the area. Since they are from Ohio I'm hoping it won't be long. I also love this version of 'Hallelujah.'

All that said, I still like the Merry Axemas cd for Christmas music too. But right now this OTR song is my new favorite.


No comments: