Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Too many books to read

The book pile just keeps growing and growing. And, to be honest, I don't really like reading. It's somewhat of a necessity for my job though, and I enjoy the fruit of reading.

At any rate, I am just about done with Shattered Dreams. Next I will be trying to decide between:
  • The King Jesus Gospel, by Scot McKnight
  • Speaking of Jesus, by Carl Medearis
  • The Wounded Healer, by Henri Nouwen
  • The Faith of Leap, by Frost & Hirsch
  • Torn, by Jud Wilhite
  • Simply Jesus, by N.T. Wright
  • Surprised By Hope, by N.T. Wright
  • Journeys To Significance, by Neil Cole

Of course, that doesn't even count the pile of books I have that I'm not really interested in (most of which were free). There are also a few books I've already read that I would like to read again. Dang. I'm tempted to say I need a course in speed-reading, but I really don't like to read fast when it's devotional or spiritual formation type reading. I prefer one or two chapters a day. It makes for slow reading, but I feel like it sinks into my soul better that way. Though there is an occasional book that I just can't put down.

Lately I've also been thinking about the most impactful books I've read. I would have to say Brian McLaren's 'New Kind of Christian' probably tops the list. I can still remember reading the very first paragraph, and I knew it was going to be good. I would also add 'Blue Like Jazz' by Don Miller, and 'Messy Spirituality' by Mike Yaconelli as favorites, but there are just bunches of books that have been a huge influence on me... books by McKnight, Dan Kimball, Henri Nouwen, Frost & Hirsch, Reggie McNeal, Buechner, and... ugh... the list could go on and on. Shoot, not to mention Max Lucado and Philip Yancey and the like. So... even though I still don't consider myself a reader, reading has been a very big part of my spiritual growth process - and life.

2 comments:

Jim L said...

Don't like to READ?!?!? [cough! splutter!] Man, that's my favorite activity, to a fault (and I mean to a fault - as in, I'd rather read about most things than actually DO them :).

And I am glad you DO read, because a few books you've read and commented on/reviewed have ended up on my stack over the years, and I am really, really enjoying and getting good insights from "Introverts in the Church" right now, which came from you. So don't stop, whatever you do.

[muttering] "Doesn't like to read...I may have to reevaluate this friendship!" :)

dan said...

I thought you would like 'Introverts.'

I suppose I'll keep reading, if it keeps you happy. :)