Friday, February 17, 2012

Flipped mattress, funeral, and power failure

I flipped our mattress this morning - end to end and over. I used to think flipping the mattress periodically was useless, but it really does seem to help. Jane and I have both been feeling a general soreness when we get up lately, so I'm hoping this will do the trick. It's probably been 4 or 5 months since we last flipped it.

Yesterday I went to a small funeral. I was one of only a handful of people there not a part of the immediate family. It was still a very nice funeral. Sometimes I almost think smaller is better, but it's hard to say that someone shouldn't come to a funeral. It was for the wife of someone from our church - even though he doesn't come a lot any more, but he used to pretty regularly. Their son is actually my eye doctor. The woman had been in a nursing home for the last ten years with alzheimers. She's been on a feeding tube for probably the last five years. So in a way this was probably a blessing. But I feel bad for her husband because ever since I have known him he has driven from Fort Wayne to Ossian and fed his wife all her meals. Every day. Let me tell you something, folks... I am not impressed by much, but THAT impresses me. Anyway, it was a nice funeral. They had the woman's minister from when she was younger do the service. I enjoyed sitting and listening and watching.

Last night our power went out for the first time since we have lived here. It was about 9:45 pm, and it just went out. It came back on probably sometime after midnight. Apparently someone ran into a bunch of light poles on South Anthony Blvd., and also hit a fire hydrant, and they didn't even catch who did it. How can you run into a bunch of light poles, a fire hydrant, and still drive off? What was weird, too, was I thought I saw some lights flashing right after it happened, and on the news this morning they said a bunch of people reported seeing flashing colored lights right after it happened. Hmm... Anyway, we sat up until about 10:30, I called the power company (and they already knew it was out), and we finally just went to bed. I woke up just before 1 am and noticed the kitchen light was on. Now I need to make a note to put on the refrigerator with the phone number for the power company and our account number, so the next time the power goes out I won't need to dig around in the dark for it.

No comments: