Thursday, November 22, 2012

Obituary for fridolein valentine horwedel

My cousin sent this to me on Facebook the other day. It's the obituary for my great, great grandfather. At first I mistakenly thought this was the man who made the violin I have. After looking at my records, though, Fridolein was actually the father of the man who made the violin: Ross Valentine Horwedel (who was my great grandfather; and who I was named after). So, anyway, here is the obit for Fridolein, and a pic of the violin Ross made.
For Dan Horwedel -- will make a copy, but too interesting to wait to here's a very long obit....and apparently written by the Methodist pastor:
"Fridolein Horwedel, sone of John and Sevilla Horwedel, was born in Rheinsheim Baden Germany, March 6, 1837. Died at his home in Vermont, Illinois, June 29, 1914, aged 77 years, 3 months and 23 days. He emigrated to this country with his parents when but 14 years of age and settled in Hanover, Penn., in the year 1851. Mr. Horwedel was over 70 days crossing the Atlantic and that in a sail boat which at one time drifted to the coast of Africa. Such experiences are never to be forgotten. It took brave hearts tocross the ocean in those days. He was a blacksmith by trade and followed the same in Pennsylvania, also in Vermont. Everyone knows what a familiar figure he ws around the balcksmith shop and often have I heard him tell of his experience during the civil war, how busy he ws kept shoeing horses and how near he came to being hit by a bullet which killed a man a few feet from where he stood. Mr. Horwwedel was untied in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Riffle at Hanover, Penn., March 17, 1860. This unionwas blessed with seven children all of whom survive byt Freddie and Martha Elizabeth. The mother preceeded him Nov 30, 1902. He came to Illinois in 1865 and settled on a farm near Summum where he resided one year. He then came to Vermont where he has lived eversince. Mr. Horwedel was united in marriage to Hannah Riffle Oct 26, 1904. She preceeded him Feb 22, 1906. He was then unted in marriage to Ella Lamborn, March 5, 1908, who survives him. He leaves to mourn his loss his wife, his five children: John, Geore and Ross Horwedel, Mrs Mary Smith and Mrs. Lucy Kost all of Vermont, two brothers and one sister, Henry and August of Vermont and Mrs. Hattie Legg of Quilan, Oklahoma, 23 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren. Mr. Horwedel was baptized in the Catholic Church and was a communicant of same for years. During the pst nine months me was a great sufferer but was remarkably patient with it all. Everything in medical science and loving help was done to alleviate his sufferings. Mr. Horwedel was a member of the Odd Fellows and Rebecca Lodges for 42 years. Too much cannot be said of the virtues of such a fellowship, such a brotherhood. In times of sickness they depict for us the good Samaritan. The quickest way to overcome the faintness which the sight of the physical wretchedness sends surging thru us is to move forward to the rescue. God alone knows that those who cared for him often came near to the breaking point, but they received strength to continue their faithful ministry to the end. Truly in the words of the scripture one might say concerning Lodge No. 79, John Anderson, Mrs. Kate Doebler, the wife and children: "They have done what they could" What a beautiful tribute. Mr. Horwedel was a good citizen, a loving husband and father, a good neighbor, kind and always ready to help in the time of need. He sided with the weak and with a willing hand gave alms. He was ever a friend to the oppressed and the down and out.Those who knew him best will miss the sunshine and happy smile which always greeted his friends. This pastor rejoiced in his friendship. He was so kind to him and his family, so faithful, so considerate, such kindness bounds us to him with cords of tenderest affection.While he was not a memeber of the Methodist church one can never forget the time when God blessed the parsonage by sending into it one of his best treasures, little George. Mr and Mrs Horwedel were greatly interested in the little new comer and decided that the Methodest parsonage ought to have a cistern and plenty of soft water so they set to work and the money was raised and Mr. Horwedel superintended the job and the pastor and his family were made happy. During the pastorate of Rev. George Cady, Mr Horwedel was instrumental in building a porch for the parsonage adding much to its appearance and convenience. In a few days he solicited the money and with the gratuitous help of his brother Henry, the porch was completed, thereby adding another monument to his memory. Being of a kindly, friendly disposition possessing fine social qualities, and charming wit so characteristic of Fred Horwedel flashing forth in distress even and when least expected, he enjoyed the confidence and esteem of a large circle of friends and he will be sincerely mourned by those who knew him well. Thus after several months of patient endurance of painful suffering, he closed his earthly pilgrimage. He fell asleep surrounded by his family. His work was done and he has gone to his reward. Funeral services were held at the M.E. church and conducted by Rev. George Davies Wednesday, July 1, 1914 at 2:30pm. The I.O.O.F. Lodge No. 79 had charge of the body from the church. Interment at Vermont cemetery."


Candi said...

I just stumbled across this doing some research on the Horwedel family, and wanted to thank you so much. This helps me to fill in some gaps in my genealogy work. Your ancestor (Fred) is a cousin to my 3rd great grandma. I have been trying to locate her father's family, and this answers a lot of questions I had. THANK YOU!

dan horwedel said...

Glad to be of service. Good luck on your genealogy work!