Wednesday, November 06, 2013

The table is gone

 We got rid of our giant basement table thingy last night. It was here when we bought the house, and appeared to be some sort of sewing or craft table. It was very well made. The neighbor kid told me he helped the previous owner of our house make it. And it was obviously made in the room it was located in because there was no way it would fit out the doorway or up the stairs. It measured 6' x 4' x 41" tall.

At one time we talked about getting some bar stools and maybe trying to use it, but it was just too odd shaped. We pretty much just used it to pile junk on top of. It did work pretty nice to hold all my boxes of files from when I cleaned out my office. We would like to try to minimize the junk piles though, and a good way to do that is to get rid of places to pile it. So we both put a pic of the table on Facebook and said it was free for the taking.

One of Jane's friends, who works at another branch affiliated with hers, said she would take it the first day it was up. She wanted to surprise a friend of hers with it. I'm thinking it will be quite a surprise, but if they want to come and get it I'm not going to argue. So she and her husband came last night and hauled it away in their minivan. Yesterday afternoon I took the screws out that were holding the top and the bottom to the legs. There were 4-5 screws in each leg. When they arrived to pick it up at 7 pm then all we had to do was lift up the top and pull the legs out through the bottom. The top was pretty darn heavy, and it just barely fit in the back of their van... but it fit. I thought later that I probably should have marked the legs, because they will need to go back in the same place or the screw holes won't line up. But... I guess it's too late now.

Interestingly enough, the husband asked if I was a pastor. I don't know if he saw my books, or maybe Jane had told his wife, anyway I said I was. I was kind of trying to avoid the conversation but he kept asking more questions. I finally had to say that I was no longer at a church. Then he wanted to know what I was doing. I never know what to say, so I said, "I'm waiting." He didn't say anything after that. So I finally asked what he did. Apparently he must pastor, or work at some kind of ministry anyway, in Berne. He said the name of it, but I didn't catch it. So... that happened. He was a nice guy.

It will be nice to not have that giant table in the basement anymore. The cat is depressed though, because she used to sit on it or use it to hop up in the basement window. I'm sure she will survive. There's always the computer keyboard for her to sit on.

No comments: