Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Memorial day weekend trip home

We went back to Buda this past weekend. We didn't leave until around noon Saturday. It took about 5 hours to get there. There was a car on fire on the other side of Joliet, so there was a bit of a traffic delay.

We stopped at my parents house first, then we were invited out to Mark's where Dr. Tim cooked steaks for us. It was a nice evening, and the steaks were awesome. What is it about Drs. being able to cook good steaks?

Later one we went into Brothers Pub and listened to one of our favorite bands in the world - Windjam. I think they started playing together almost 40 years ago. It's always a fun time seeing them, and our old friends at the Pub. Jane and Tim even got to witness a fight right in front of them. I wasn't there when it happened, but it was your typical '2-drunk-guys-and-a-woman' type thing. I don't think anyone was too seriously hurt. It kind of interrupted everything, so I requested the band play "Sad Song" as their first song back. It is perhaps my favorite song of all time by anybody. They did it in blistering fashion, and I think the band started playing at a different level afterward. As usual we were there past closing time - which is 1:30 am their time, and 2:30 our time.

Sunday we went to the old home church. I have to say... I felt totally out of place. It was like being in a foreign country. I kind of just looked around as people were singing... and I had no idea what I was doing there. It was weird.

We hung out at my parents house on Sunday afternoon and evening, then headed out to come back to the Fort early Monday morning. My dad is always in charge of the Memorial Day service, so we try to stay out of his way. We actually made it back home (Fort Wayne) in 4 1/2 hours. I thought traffic would be a whole lot worse, but it wasn't even bad around Chicago.

So, all in all, it was a very good trip home.

2 comments:

MR said...

you probably drove home before the approved holiday car burning hours.

Pastor D said...

Car fire...outside of Jolliet...are you surprised?