Friday, May 30, 2014

Nobody

I once told someone they were Nobody's hero - meaning they seemed to speak for the rest of us nobodies (as an author and songwriter). I meant it as a compliment, but I guess it didn't come across that way. However, I think most of us who are nobodies need someone to make us not feel so alone. Because I think there are a lot of us - not everybody - but a lot of us, who feel like a nobody. And I think we need to know that we're not alone. Because I don't think we are alone. I think there are a lot of people who lay in bed at night, or sit at work, or space out into the darkness, and think no one knows. But they do. At least I do.

So, if you do too... know that I'm right there with you. Nobody knows... and there are a lot of us nobodies. I guess...

2 comments:

MR said...

and the Goethe quote I couldn't remember last night: "every day I become more certain that the existence of any being whatever is of very little consequence."

Or as Ted (of Bill & Ted) quoted the song: "Dude! All we are...is dust in the wind."

I wouldn't call this so much an attitude of futility as embracing the humility that should come with being made of perishable stuff. So long as we're content making sand castles, I don't think I need my face carved in a mountain.

Pastor D said...

The life you live is not your own. The life you live is rooted in Christ. You are, for the sake of Christ, loved and treasured and of value in this world. Apart from your perception. Another's evaluation. Or your own feelings or failures. It’s a reality that comes from outside of you, hanging there on the cross.