Monday, October 06, 2014

I'm sorry but your worship leader could be a deal breaker

Major "ugh." Yesterday we went back to the same church we had attended the week before. We really, really, really, really want to like this church! It is within walking distance from our house, it is somewhat 'neutral' on several rating scales we keep in the back of our minds, it has possibilities galore, the pastor seems a nice enough guy... We would just really like for this church to be a place for us. But yesterday the paid Worship Leader - and "regular" worship team - were back... and I don't know.

Apparently our first Sunday there was an off Sunday or something. There wasn't a huge crowd, and the two ladies who led the singing (accompanied by drums, electric guitar, and bass) weren't exactly our style, but they did an admirable job. It didn't suck.

Yesterday, though..... Yesterday was possibly a deal-breaker. It was an awful experience. If you could wrap up everything I do NOT want in a worship leader/worship team... it was there. I don't even want to describe it. I've often heard people talk about how a good worship leader shouldn't "get in the way of the Holy Spirit"... Well this guy didn't get that memo!

Jane and I glanced at each other at one point - making sure we weren't hallucinating or something - and the both of us had this look on our faces somewhere between a horrified deer in the headlights and being on the verge of uncontrollable laughter. I was afraid Jane was going to lose it and have a complete laughing meltdown right then and there. It was just unreal. What's worse is that people seemed to like it!!! (the worship, not the look on our faces)

So... I don't know. I think we need to force ourselves to go back. At least once more. Maybe it was just a fluke. Maybe he just had an extra dose of energy yesterday. Maybe it was a dream...

Ugh. I just don't know what more to say. Trying to find a church sucks.

5 comments:

MR said...

I'm not sure if you wrote this with as much comedy intended as I got from it. I was already laughing from the GOOD end of the spectrum for this place being: "didn't suck." Hahaha... now I'm picturing the church from the Blue Brothers, with trampolines, etc. Hahahaa. Maybe sneak out at the half an go spy on the Catholics down the road, they could make balloon animals somber.

bill Sloat said...

Sorry to hear about your experience.
What in the Word is a worship leader?

Tom said...

Bill, I have no idea what Dan would answer to your question but the most common connection is with the ministry of Asaph and his associates (1 Chronicles 16) and Koreh and his sons (1 Chronicles 9). Both are also credited with several Psalms.

Pastor D said...

You could try a liturgical church...but then again the chanting might be off! That's why my daughter sings opera and I don't!

bill Sloat said...

Tom,
No doubt. But we are subjects of the Kingdom Jesus announced and initiated. Jesus never led a gathering in which a worship leader would have had any role at all.
In the New Testament, as far as I can tell, worship is falling on your face-as the Magi did-or, as Paul described, to offer your body as a living sacrifice.