Friday, October 24, 2014

Smoking update

I just had to look back in my archives to see when it was that I quit smoking. It was September 14th. Other than the night I bummed a bunch of cigarettes while still wearing the patch - and almost died - I've only had one here and there a few times. I don't really even remember the last time I had a cigarette though.

One thing I did different this time (in regard to quitting), is I didn't count the missteps. If I stumbled, then that's all it was... It didn't mean I had failed, or that I was "smoking" again. I just overlooked it and moved forward. I don't know if I recommend that as a strategy or not, but that's what I did.

I actually quit wearing the patch after I got sick. I think I went about a week without anything. I then moved to the 'step 2' patch... probably a couple weeks ago... because I could tell I needed some help. I think there was stress at work, and I was starting to get that "agitated" feeling again. The patch seems to help.

Honestly, though, I would still rather be smoking. If it just wasn't so unhealthy and didn't make me feel like crap. Not a day goes by that I don't want a cigarette. Maybe I will start again when I'm 72. How much can it hurt then? I don't know. It's going okay, I guess.

1 comment:

MR said...

if you somehow defy nature and outlive Jane, you can try out all kinds of drugs! If I'm still around I'll be like: "you're only smoking ONE cigarette at a time? You're not getting anywhere like that!"