Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Comfortable

I was talking with someone the other day and it dawned on me that this is about as comfortable as I remember being - maybe ever. I'm not anxious about anything, have no anxiety, not really too worried about much.

When I was pastoring, going to school, and even in previous jobs, there were always those times I had to do things I didn't really want to... hospital visits with difficult people, phone calls in the middle of the night, being asked to "save" someone's grandchild (or grandparent), and the list goes on. Now... not so much. I get up, go to work, come home, and do it all over the next day. Not that my job doesn't have it's difficulties, but there isn't anything about it that makes me nervous. My limited involvement with church doesn't require much of me, I'm not really doing ANYTHING that takes me out of my comfort zone (other than a random conversation here and there). The thing is... it's the being in my comfort zone that makes me uncomfortable.

Sure, it is quite relaxing to be comfortable, and it's not that I WANT to be nervous or anxious about things... but it seems like something is missing; things are too easy; I'm not being stretched or challenged or anything, and I feel I've become a bit complacent.

So, I'm not complaining, but just noting that this phase of life is at hand. Who knows what the future holds. Here goes...