Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Coaching makes me better


I know it's on our website, and it probably goes without saying, but I really do believe coaching makes me better. It doesn't seem to matter if I am being coached or doing the coaching. I feel better, am better prepared, and better motivated after coaching.

It makes sense after being coached. If there is something I need to talk through, or a place where I'm just "stuck," it really makes a difference to have a different set of "eyes" to prod me to look at my situation in a new or un-thought-of way. That's basically what coaching is all about.

What surprises me, though, is that even when I coach someone else -- it makes me feel better. I don't know if it's because I feel like I'm 'doing something,' or maybe it's because it reinforces to me that it actually is a useful vehicle for helping people get from where they are to where they want to be.

To be fair, it doesn't work for everything. Sometimes I'm honestly not wanting to be better... I want to wallow in self-pity, or pout, or simply ignore what may be happening. However, when I actually DO want to get better, it almost always helps.

So... that's just a thought I was having yesterday when I started this post. We are actually thinking of changing our "niche" as a business. I've also been thinking about how we schedule/charge clients... perhaps there is a way that better suits us. We'll see. And... I changed my job title & description on Facebook. I changed the title from 'Life Coach' to 'Personal Coach', and added the description: "Life coach, soul strategist, sounding board..."

That's all.