Tuesday, August 18, 2015

A new book


I started reading a new book yesterday: Scary Close by Donald Miller. Jane already read it, and it seemed to keep staring at me from across the room. After diving into the first 50 pages or so on the first day, now I know why. This appears to be a book I need to read right now.

So far it seems to be about how to learn to be our true selves, as opposed to the selves we show the world in our attempts to hide our shame and earn love. Man, already I've been beat upside the head. I've always considered myself to be a pretty open and vulnerable guy. Apparently I'm pretty open about certain parts of me, but I have a long, long way to go.

I have already underlined much, but I'll just share this one phrase to start:
"I began to wonder what life would be like if I dropped the act and began to trust that being myself would be enough to get the love I needed."
Ugh... that right there could be the underlying question I've been seeking/avoiding for all my 52 years...